Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Are You Packing Your Bags? The Lost Girls Review

Well, I just finished The Lost Girls.  I must say this is one of those books where the cover art had me thinking I was going to read something very different than what was between the covers.


Did I like this book?  I have mixed feelings.  I think if I had been younger, and more restless, it would have had a big impact on me.  But being in my 40's, working at a job I enjoy, and being pretty settled in my life, I kept thinking to myself "No way would I do this!"  I admire these women for leaving everything behind and traveling the world for a year.  That takes a lot of guts.  Especially staying at hostels!  I am a hotel and indoor plumbing kind of gal.  I know many people would say that is part of the experience, but I don't think I would be any less awed by the fabulous sites, hikes, and people I would meet because I slept in some comfort.


I think I started this book expecting a fun, frothy tale of three women who have some great adventures and lots of laughs along the way.  The fact that they literally went around the world, stayed in places for weeks, and volunteered in Africa was a surprise to me as I read along.  I did get a bit tired of the wondering what do to with their lives when they got home.  I understand leaving home and getting down to the nitty gritty will certainly give you plenty of time for reflection on your life and where you want to end up, but it got old.  I think what I've learned that maybe they didn't know at the time is that all that angst just makes you tired--and you end up where you're supposed to be anyway.  


I am glad, however, that Jen, Holly, and Amanda went home and changed their lives to reflect what they discovered about themselves while on the road.  If that trip helped them to focus on what they truly wanted out of life, then bravo to them.  I guess I am past that stage in life, and just want a vacation full of fun, some exercise, and great food to share with Bud.  I don't think it would change my life--unless I won the lottery and could buy a vacation home in Hawaii!


What did you think of The Lost Girls?  


Where is your next trip?  


Did this book make you want to travel more?


Has a vacation or trip ever changed how you want to live your life?  How?

4 comments:

Jewels said...

It still hasn't come in to the library-must be popular-and I just don't have the money to spend on the book right now. :( So bummed out to have missed the time frame but I still plan on reading it when it comes in and then reporting back on it.

once in a blue moon said...

i looked at this book last year, i felt it was age inappropriate for me, i think your review cinched it for me :(

My Grama's Soul said...

Still reading....what can I say....I'm a slowwwww reader. LOL

Jo

L Harris said...

Still reading as well.

I would agree with age inappropriate. I'm enjoying the book. Doesn't make me want to travel any more. Just not feasible. My next trip is to the grocery store for food to feed 6 little mouths. :)

I will probably continue to read the book, but I'm going to put other books ahead of it. THE HELP is what I'm reading for another book club and as I haven't been able to get this book club's next book, I will focus on that book instead.

THE LOST GIRLS is a nice read but not life changing. Not one I probably would have picked on my own.