Monday, July 11, 2011

My First Impression of The Great House

Ok.  I know this book is going to be a challenge.  I've read about 50 pages, and I had to get on Google and see what other people thought of it.  I can say people either love it or hate it.  I think it will be a book that will stay in my brain for quite some time, simmering away.

Have you started it?  What do you think so far?  I don't know anyone at the bookstore that has read it, so I have no one to question!  Aggh!  One theme that came up a lot in people's reviews was the argument that it's actually 4 short stories, and not a novel.  The critics love it; "regular folks" like us are definitely mixed.

I will keep digging in!  I can say with a pretty good inkling that it's not a happy novel, so read it out in the sun, with a cheerful drink by your side.  Then go out and do something fun.  Loneliness and isolation are certainly themes Nicole Krauss explores in The Great House.

More later...

1 comment:

Jewels said...

I am only about 20 pages in and so far I'm a bit confused. I am unsure as to how I am going to get through this. I have picked it up and put it down a couple times already (kinda since it is on the nook but you know what I mean). That is never a good sign if I am walking away from it after 18 pages. *Sigh* I shall soldier on though.