Tuesday, May 31, 2011

June Read: The Red Leather Diary

Okay, if you couldn't join us for the inaugural book The Paris Wife,  I hope you can join us for our second selection The Red Leather Diary  by Lily Koppel.  This is a non-fiction selection which I have been wanting to read for years and now I have an excuse to do it.


I'll be posting a few questions and some info about this book during June.  I think I am not alone in thinking that women who lived in the first half of the 20th century had a life that was a bit cloistered and they didn't have any fun at all, or much of anything to do but find a husband.  I am pretty sure this book will make me see things in a different light!  


Here's to another intriguing read.  And also, we have a book picked out for July, but I am taking suggestions for the next batch of books for the club.  Anything you're itching to read and discuss?  Remember, it doesn't have to be a new book, and it can be fiction or non-fiction.  I'll be posting our reading list for August, September, and October at the end of this month, so please feel free to suggest titles.  


And thank you to all who read and commented on our first selection.  

5 comments:

once in a blue moon said...

i picked up my copy, just need to finish what i am reading and its next :)

My Grama's Soul said...

My local bookstore was out of its copy...so I had to order it....I'll start it as soon as it arrives.

Jo

L Harris said...

Mine is on its way this week. What is the pick for July again??

once in a blue moon said...

ok, i read the book yesterday so i am going to give you my quick 2 cents worth, because i read fast, but i don't retain info when i will be onto a new book a day lately ;-)

i didn't care for it... it was to dry and read robotically to me, like i woke up, put on dress, combed my hair, opened the door, with about that much panache. it was fact filled and droll to me... i did enjoy the concept, i think the diary itself read well, it was the filler that bored me to tears, but i must finish everything i read. it was like the author was trying to cram every fact on nyc, or whatever, into every single sentence, paragraph or page, too much minutia, which i usually enjoy, but her words didn't do a thing for me...

interesting woman, it was almost painful seeing her insights to questioning her sexuality. passionate young woman about so many things, i was just sorry i hated how the diary was held together by the author :(

ms. caboo said...

I'm sorry, Blue, that you didn't like it! I will be interested to see what everyone else thinks of it. I haven't started it yet, and I wonder if I will have the same reaction as you did.