Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Paris Wife: Three Questions While You Start Reading

May 1st is just around the corner, so I hope everyone is ready to get started on The Paris Wife.  I have found a great website:  The Princeton Book Review that features questions for book discussions and has a lot of great recommendations for other books.  I'm going to post three questions for you to think about as you start the book.  Feel free to post your comments anytime--there is no certain time where you have to be so far in the book.  If you have any questions while you're reading, or want to post something you feel is important in the book, do so!  


Here are the questions, courtesy of The Princeton Book Review:



1. In many ways, Hadley's girlhood in St. Louis was a difficult and repressive experience. How do her early years prepare her to meet and fall in love with Ernest? What does life with Ernest offer her that she hasn't encountered before? What are the risks?

2. Hadley and Ernest don't get a lot of encouragement from their friends and family when they decided to marry. What seems to draw the two together? What are some of the strengths of their initial attraction and partnership? The challenges?

3. The Ernest Hemingway we meet in THE PARIS WIFE—through Hadley's eyes—is in many ways different from the ways we imagine him when faced with the largeness of his later persona. What do you see as his character strengths? Can you see what Hadley saw in him?

Also, if you read my previous post about A Moveable Feast, you know I'm going to read that at the same time.  A few other book club members are also taking up that challenge.  Please add your comments about that, too.  I think it's going to give me a better view of what happens in The Paris Wife.


Happy May 1st, everyone!  Here's to the start of a great book club.





4 comments:

My Grama's Soul said...

O.K. I've got my book and I'm ready to roll. LOL

Jo

Jewels said...

I'm on chapter 6 (I think) and loving it!! Can't wait to start discussing it with everyone.

Jewels said...

I just have to comment real quick on the book. I am only 100 or so pages in (reading is slow as kids are very busy this time of year) but am loving it. I love that Hadley and Ernest are real, came to eachother with emotional and psychological baggage and aren't made out to be this happy go lucky couple with no issues as is far too often the case! I love that Hadley fell in love later in life (especially for the times).

1. Hadley having to care for her mother, a mother that never seemed to favor her and living with her sister who seems incredibly morose would have Hadley craving love, fun, and a sense of family that felt real. I know her prior heartbreak left her feeling a bit raw but at her age, in that time, I think she was just longing for a connection with a man. I think she wanted to belong to somebody, with somebody. Ernest could offer her the passion most writers embody and the mood swings, at first, probably seemed romantic. She saw somebody she could "save" from himself with her love. That is very appealing to most women.


2. I think that Hadley was starved for love and attention and Ernest for somebody to bring lightness and love to his life (maybe in some ways a mother figure). They found each other and didn't let go because of this. There is also something so captivating and intriguing about a moody artist, and the fervor with which Ernest courted and persued Hadley would have been hard to resist.

3. I think I covered his appeal to Hadley in prior answers. Yes, I can see his appeal though I don't think I could stay with somebody that I felt I had to "fix" or who had such mood swings. Then again, Hadley seems to be battling her own form of depression.

Can't wait to see where the rest of the book takes us! :)

My Grama's Soul said...

Just finished the book....I loved this read!! It was an easy read and the character development was ideal.

will answer you questions later....as I need to run now...but just wanted to check in.

xo

Jo