Monday, March 28, 2011

Welcome!

I'm so excited to start this blogger reading club!  My goal is pretty simple:  pick a book for the month, post questions throughout the month, and then let everyone comment on the book.  The more comments, the better.  This book club will evolve as we get moving, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows and changes in the coming months.


What are we going to read?  Whatever you pick--fiction or non-fiction.  I'll post a list of potential titles, and you get to vote.  Whatever title gets the most votes is the title we'll read.  For the sake of keeping it simple for everyone, I'd like to pick 3 months at a time, so if you can't read a particular title, you know what we're reading next.  Sound good?


Here is a list of titles to get us started.  Please post a comment as to what you would like to read--pick three.  I will post the first three titles mid-month; this will give everyone some time to check them out and vote for your choices.  We'll start reading the first title May 1st.
If anyone has any other title to suggest, please feel free to enter it into the mix!   I welcome any and all book suggestions.  Without further ado, here are some titles I thought we could pick from for the first three months:


Fiction:
When We Were Strangers by Pam Schoenewaldt
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
Great House by Nicole Krauss
Postmistress by Sarah Blake
West of Here by Jonathan Evison
The Sea Captain's Wife by Beth Powning
Swamplandia by Karen Russell
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine


Non-Fiction:
Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff
Dead End Gene Pool by Wendy Burden
The Bucolic Plague by Josh Kilmer-Purcell
The Red Leather Diary by Lily Koppel
The Hemingses of Monticello by Annette Gordon-Reed


These are just a few titles I thought of.  If you've got other suggestions, please feel free to comment!  

9 comments:

Average Girl said...

Great idea sweetie! I want to be a part of this... but here is my catch. At this moment, I have 8 brand new books that I have to read, but If I had to choose, I would be all about the Paris Wife... hmmm... I have a gift certificate I could use!

once in a blue moon said...

you did a great job getting this going~ i must confess my time is spread thin with changes at home so not sure how reliable i may be, i won't have net at sea dream.

i have had cutting for stone since it came out in my kindle, i keep putting it off because i know it has parts that will disturb me, which is all the more reason to have to read it for the book club because i know its an excellent book, everyone raves~

C-Joy said...

I'll read pretty much anything with "Paris" in the title :D

Jewels said...

The Paris Wife
Red Leather Diary
Great House

I'd love any of these! :-) Can't wait to jump in!! Thanks for putting in the work to start the blog. I am so excited to be a part of a book club (finally)!!

L Harris said...

all your links go to the barnes and noble home page. if you meant to link to the books, it didn't work. just thought I'd let you know.

L Harris said...

Great House by Nicole Krauss looks good.

The Bucolic Plague by Josh Kilmer-Purcell

The Red Leather Diary by Lily Koppel

L Harris said...

This one has been on my tbr list for a while. anyone else interested?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Handmaids-Tale/Margaret-Atwood/e/9780547345666/?itm=1&USRI=the+handmaid%27s+tale

L Harris said...

Do you want me to share this to get more participants? Or keep it small?

mohit said...

Must be an enjoyable read A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and orignal, this book is going in by "to read" list.